Welcome to Pilkipedia, Guest! We hope you enjoy the boards available for you to browse here in secrecy.
However why not sign up to the forum to browse the several hidden boards and contribute to our growing community!

The Big Pilkipedia Daily Playlist Thread

Music, gigs, podcasts and radio shows, gems of audio delight.

Moderators: Gtpod, Barrylad

The Big Pilkipedia Daily Playlist Thread

Postby DH » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:26 am

Ok so after the last "Playlist of the Week" thread trundled to an end, it's time for a rebirth. But this time, hopefully more people will get involved and enjoy it.

So then, the "rules".

1 - 5 Song Limit - Personally I felt that 50 minute playlists were a bit too long for me to just set time apart for each week, so let's say 5 songs max, though of course these can be as long as you want, but don't push it, or people probably won't bother.

2 - No Schedule - Basically come and go as you please, however I would say that the one guideline here is "you can't post a playlist until you've reviewed another one", so that it encourages people not only to post loads of playlists, but also to review other peoples. Here, your first one is a freebie.

I would advise people to ignore playlists that go against the guidelines, but all is in the spirit of fun!

I'll go first then and then over to you folks! Have fun!
No mate, that's control! Society's got you in its grip!
DH
Site Admin

Reputation point: 8802

Re: The Big Pilkipedia Daily Playlist Thread

Postby DH » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 1:26 am

Dam Helder's Playlist - 26/09/2010

1) Go With the Flow - Queens of the Stone Age
Just can't get this song out of my head, and it currently sits proudly atop my iTunes Top 25. Just a great modern rock song with a catchy riff and chorus.

2) Ride - The Vines
Forgot how much I love The Vines. Got back into them recently, and couldn't decide between this and "Get Free", though this one won out in the end. If you like this, check out Get Free for an equally great song, and possibly even better video.

3) Evil - Interpol
They got a new album out. This is their best one, innit. Nuff said. Also a fuckin awesome video

4) Till I Collapse - Eminem feat. Nate Dogg
Really like the chorus to this one. Also the beat during the chorus is well sick an' that. Just really good stuff. Remember when Eminem was good?

5) Lacquer Head - Primus
And we finish off with one that not many people will know, or like for that matter. Listen, Les Claypool is the best rock bassist going, and if you disagree you can pretty much suck a knob. Listen out for the bass solo at 1:10. Powerful stuff!
No mate, that's control! Society's got you in its grip!
DH
Site Admin

Reputation point: 8802

Postby ScottHanson » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:20 am

Introducing my new volume based ranking system, Turn it Up, Turn it Off, TURN IT TO 11.

Turn it Up: Go With the Flow - Queens of the Stone Age, Evil - Interpol, Lacquer Head - Primus
Turn it Off:
TURN IT TO 11: Ride - The Vines, Till I Collapse - Eminem feat. Nate Dogg

Volume Rank: MY NEIGHBOURS JUST CALLED THE POLICE.
Steve: No Elvis, it's a good idea, I'm just wondering if there's maybe something a little bit more glamorous for your fake death, I mean maybe you could take a bullet for the president?
Ricky: Huh, what and shit all over him? Just shit myself?
ScottHanson
Wiki Chief Editor

Reputation point: 18625

Postby Barrylad » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:30 am

Go With The Flow - Queens of the Stone Age
I agree with your summary of it. Good tune.

Ride - The Vines
Good, kinda generic song. Ruined by the fact that it's one of those songs that was just EVERYWHERE a few years back.

Evil - Interpol
Loved loved loved this. First time hearing it. Great stuff.

Til I Collapse - Eminem
Great tune. Not one of his best. Fantastic chorus.

Primus - Lacquer Head
Funkay trippy rock. Liked it.

Overall rating: 8/10. A triumph.
FITZSIMMONS wrote:You can get poutine in the UK now? I already am highly questioning the quality.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Reputation point: 7629

Postby StopWhinging » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:32 am

Dam Helder's Playlist - 26/09/2010

Good song. One of the 4 QotSA songs I like. Video was ehh but I liked the style of it.

2) Ride - The Vines
Good times with this song. Is it really from 2004?! Well it at least represents 2004 so well. I remember when I thought the singer was the most gorgeous guy on earth... hm.

3) Evil - Interpol
Old Interpol, how I wish you'd come back... Paul Banks <3 Fantastic.

Beat was indeed sick. Hadn't heard this song before. Pretty awesome.

5) Lacquer Head - Primus
Not gonna lie... kinda scared of this one. Wasn't that bad. Wouldn't mind listening to this every so often.
mbbb: she has two moods-hungry and threatened. you can determine her response based on those things

chinch: SW is doing nothing to better her place on the weird americans scale

I'm not controlling...
StopWhinging
Pilki Networker

Reputation point: 7628

Postby Barrylad » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 2:41 am

Yeah that was the other thing. I liked the "Go With The Flow" and "Evil" videos a lot.
FITZSIMMONS wrote:You can get poutine in the UK now? I already am highly questioning the quality.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Postby Martin » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:17 am

Go With The Flow - Queens of the Stone Age
I think this might be a textbook example of an awesome modern rock song. Just love it.
10/10

Ride - The Vines
Knew I recognised this from somewhere, remember that chorus. Good fun.
8/10

Evil - Interpol
Decent enough.
6.5/10

Til I Collapse - Eminem
I'm not a big Em fan, but this one was pretty cool. I thought Nate Dogg's parts were better than Eminem's though.
7.5/10

Primus - Lacquer Head
Yeah, not a fan. Soz.
3/10
Martin

Reputation point: 6635

Postby Martin » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:29 am

Gonna post me a playlist, if I may. The theme is hip-hop. I know that it probably won't popular but if you like the hippety hop then there's some good tracks here in my humble opinion.

Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard

The Roots - Sacrifice

De La Soul - Me Myself And I

Cut Chemist - Addictive

Snoop Dogg - Gin And Juice
Martin

Postby it's_a_foodage » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 11:27 am

Love QOTSA. Love this track. Saw them play this last month. They rock. It rocks. .... rock.
9/10

2) The Vines - Ride
I preferred "Get Free" back in the day. Still pretty good.
7/10

3) Evil - Interpol
If someone gelled up the hair of that puppet it would look like Stevey. Didn't strike me as awesome, but ok.
6/10

TIL I COLLAPSE I'M SPILLIN' THESE RAPS, LONG AS YOU FEEL 'EM, TIL THE DAY THAT I DROP YOU'LL NEVER SAY THAT I'M NOT KILLIN' THEM.
As if I'm gonna give this anything but:
10/10

5) Lacquer Head - Primus
Funkeeeeeeeeeeh.
8/10

I like this thread. And I like DH's playlists.
it's_a_foodage

Reputation point: 6244

Postby Barrylad » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 3:53 pm

Martay

Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard
The kazoos threw me a bit but I thought this was a great bit of the old skool hippity hop, the type I want to hear more of. Thumbs up.

The Roots - Sacrifice
Roots are kinda hit and miss for me, I liked this one though. The rap was kinda just there, but I loved the beat and thought the chorus was really good. Nice chilled out track.

De La Soul - Me, Myself and I
I dunno why but I never really clicked with De La Soul. I thought this was really great. LOVED the beat and the rap(s) were really good. Funk-ay to tha MAX.

Cut Chemist - Addictive
This grated on me. Hated it the rap, beat was kinda generic. Not a fan.

Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice
Snoop's first is the only album of his I really loved, and this is one of the reasons why. Classic stuff.

Overall rating - 7/10. Good stuff. Only one thing I really didn't like, and the rest was all stuff I'd like to hear more of.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Postby ScottHanson » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm

Turn it Up: Jurassic 5 - Concrete Schoolyard, The Roots - Sacrifice, Cut Chemist - Addictive
Turn it Off:
TURN IT TO 11: De La Soul - Me Myself And I, Snoop Dogg - Gin And Juice

Volume Rank: MY NEIGHBOURS JUST CALLED THE POLICE.
Steve: No Elvis, it's a good idea, I'm just wondering if there's maybe something a little bit more glamorous for your fake death, I mean maybe you could take a bullet for the president?
Ricky: Huh, what and shit all over him? Just shit myself?
ScottHanson
Wiki Chief Editor

Reputation point: 18625

Postby VT_Hokie » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 5:49 pm

ScottHanson wrote:
Turn it Up:
Turn it Off:
TURN IT TO 11:

lol
I'll be, uhh, I'll be 30 next month...this month, no, next month..where are we?

BAUHAUS IS NOT WORKING!!
VT_Hokie

Reputation point: 380

Postby Barrylad » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:48 pm

Will leave this here now for anyone who wants a listen.

1) Sigur Ros - Hoppípolla
Okay, so Sigur Ros are this music thing right, and they're really really good. This is my expert analysis. This is such a beautiful song, and the type that makes you both want to cry and cheer up at the same time. If you're an emotional mess. Like me. If ever there was a band I would make sure everyone of my friends listen to; it's them.

2) Ellie Goulding - Sweet Disposition
A fabulous cover of the irritating popular track of the same name. This is the first I've heard of Goulding and I haven't actually followed up yet by checking out any of her other stuff, but I love this. Really makes the song her own. And better. With this song at least, there's a real Eva Cassidy sound about her, which I really love.

3) Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of the Day
Sorry this one is kinda long. It really is epic though. Like proper. I posted it in the thread for epic songs actually. It's just pretty amazing and I love how it's almost divided into separate acts but they flow seamlessly into each other. Trivia about how much of a nerd I am: I have decided that if I ever was to actually wrestle, for my theme song I would use this track from about 3:40 onward. Would be the fuckin' champ.

4) Keane - Bedshaped
This is probably old hat for most of you, but I was only recently introduced to it. Me and my best friend were exchanging awesome songs one night and this came up. I loved it. I probably missed it because Keane are so ehhhhhh most of the time. But yeah, moving stuff. With a great video to boot. Innit.

5) The Who - Baba O'Riley
I only recently discovered this through a music video on an editing forum I frequent and I love it. Just a great rock anthem. The lyrics are a joy to boot. That's in addition to the FUCKING AWESOME ROCK-NESS OF IT ALL.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Postby VT_Hokie » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 6:59 pm

Barry wrote:Okay, so Sigur Ros are this music thing right, and they're really really good. This is my expert analysis. This is such a beautiful song, and the type that makes you both want to cry and cheer up at the same time. If you're an emotional mess. Like me. If ever there was a band I would make sure everyone of my friends listen to; it's them.

you really need to get your hands on Heima. it's an 11/10.
I'll be, uhh, I'll be 30 next month...this month, no, next month..where are we?

BAUHAUS IS NOT WORKING!!
VT_Hokie

Reputation point: 380

Postby Martin » Sun 26 Sep, 2010 7:19 pm

Sigur Ros - Hoppípolla
I need to check Sigur Ros out. I like this, all nice and grand and epic and that.
8/10

Ellie Goulding - Sweet Disposition
Prefer it to the original. Although that's not saying much.
6.5/10

Explosions in the Sky - The Birth and Death of the Day
First bit was okay, I liked the subsequent little sections a lot more. Liked the buildup to the dead loud bit, all crash bang wallop like and then it comes back down nice and quiet and chilled out at the end. Good track, would listen again.
7/10

Keane - Bedshaped
I have a similar view on this as you, a shining beacon of goodness in an otherwise large sea of tedious mediocrity that is Keane. Good track.
8/10

The Who - Baba O'Riley
My favourite Who song I think. Not that I've heard loads. But yeah, really like this one.
9/10
Martin

Next

Return to The Sound Board