Welcome to Pilkipedia, Guest! We hope you enjoy the boards available for you to browse here in secrecy.
However why not sign up to the forum to browse the several hidden boards and contribute to our growing community!

The A-Z

Music, gigs, podcasts and radio shows, gems of audio delight.

Moderators: Gtpod, Barrylad

Re: The A-Z

Postby Jezoc » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 4:15 pm

Not quite, but only 2 months away - I'm still sticking to an early May launch to celebrate my turning 50 at the end of April.
Jezoc

Reputation point: 1217

Postby touchsky » Wed 05 Mar, 2014 4:22 pm

No offence to everyone else on this here forum, because you are all lovely people, but if I could go for a pint or two with anyone it'd be Jez. I really appreciate how you offer your opinion with no agenda, or pretense or judgment. And obviously the quality of the forum games.
Member since 2006
touchsky

Reputation point: 4022

Postby Jezoc » Tue 06 May, 2014 12:03 am

(First, thanks Touchsky for the above comments)

So... is there still interest in this? Been a while after all. It's about time for a restart if I'm going ahead (and it can run nicely alongside Barry's music thread I'd hope, which I'll admit has jogged me into action).

If it is on, as I've said in the past, I think I need to tighten up the naming rules this time. I was very lenient last time (by my own choice) which led to some confusion and slight annoyance over what artists were allowed for each letter. The basic problem was that first name/last name issue - I've got to go one way or the other (and annoy those whose method isn't picked)... and this time around I'm going to insist on going by last name (yup, those who list their music by first name will just have to think a little harder).

Really though the naming rules come down to one simple thing - if you were to look for the artist in a record shop (hah, like they still exist), what letter would they come under. Always come back to that basic rule. Which means, in simplistic terms (I could easily expand on this but want to keep it short-ish): -

- Solo artists go by their surname (so Johnny Cash would be a "C").
- If an artist is best know by a single name, that's the letter (so Prince is a "P").
- Bands still ignore the "The" (So The Rolling Stones would be an "R").
- Artists performing under stage names count it as a "band" name (so Lady Gaga would be an "L") .
- Tracks "featuring" another singer, the featuring artist is not valid for naming rules.
- Numerals or symbols, go by the spelling of that character.
- Punctuation (eg elipsis or brackets) go by the first alphabetic character.
- Classical/opera - if it's an instrumental, go by the composer. if it's sung go by the singer.

Looking at some of the selections made last time, which would not be allowed now: -
- Bing Crosby was selected for both "B" and "C", obviously now he would only be allowed for "C".
- Lil Wayne featuring Bobby Valentino was selected for "V", now would only come under "L". (edited)
- Townes van Zandt I very kindly allowed for "Z" due to the limited options, now would only count for "V".
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart came in under "W". If it was an instrumental piece, it would now come under "M", but the track selected ("Der Holle Rache Kocht In Meinem Herzen") was an operatic solo, so would come under the singer's surname.

I'm bound to have left a few loopholes open (I can think of a few tricky exceptions/issues myself, and I'm sure people will either point out others now or exploit them later for maximum confusion!), but just stick to that one basic rule above and all should be ok.

Still aiming to a later May start for the "new" version, if I still feel up to it/it's still interesting to people.
Jezoc

Postby Scotland Rocks! » Tue 06 May, 2014 3:21 am

SO VERY IN

and completely in support of The New Rules (very well explained, by the way!).

You know, I'd be fine if, apart from the letter clarification, we did exactly what we did last time with only two provisos:

1) No picking specific songs used last time (which Jezoc kept record of and could therefore list in advance); and
2) No picking the same ARTIST you picked last time.
Scotland Rocks!
Forum Historian

Reputation point: 7220

Postby DH » Tue 06 May, 2014 8:39 am

Would Lil Wayne not fall under the Lady Gaga rule and be an L not a W?
No mate, that's control! Society's got you in its grip!
DH
Site Admin

Reputation point: 8802

Postby Jezoc » Tue 06 May, 2014 3:35 pm

\DH/ wrote:Would Lil Wayne not fall under the Lady Gaga rule and be an L not a W?

Oh god - that's so right! I'll change that, thanks!
Jezoc

Postby Jezoc » Tue 06 May, 2014 3:39 pm

Scotland Rocks! wrote:You know, I'd be fine if, apart from the letter clarification, we did exactly what we did last time with only two provisos:

1) No picking specific songs used last time (which Jezoc kept record of and could therefore list in advance); and
2) No picking the same ARTIST you picked last time.

I did consider this as an option, and I do still have the lists... but I'm going to stick with the "new" idea. Could use the above though for a straight second run of the original idea in 2015!
Jezoc

Postby touchsky » Tue 06 May, 2014 7:39 pm

I assume you'll elaborate on the specifics nearer the time but I'm wondering about how we define new? Is it new in the sense that it's being brought to a new audience or new as in recently released? Presuming the former, does the artist/band have to be new or just the nominated track? For instance, Madonna is pretty huge but may have a shit load of little known b-sides for all I know!
Member since 2006
touchsky

Reputation point: 4022

Postby chinchilla » Tue 06 May, 2014 7:53 pm

I think new should mean anything that hasn't been written at the time of posting
ive finally got round to changing my signature...
chinchilla

Reputation point: 16946

Postby Jezoc » Tue 06 May, 2014 11:19 pm

I'll reword and restate this again in the new thread (thought it could do with it's own one), but this is how I saw it - "new" is as in new to people, including obscure tracks that most people haven't heard. I would hope that people would nominate a range of different tracks, be they: -

- from brand new (or even unsigned) artists.
- from recent artists who may have escaped people's notice.
- from older acts who may not be remembered now (nearly all my picks will be from the 80-90s).
- B-sides/album tracks from well-known artists (people often only know the singles).

So that would cover both "anything that hasn't been written at the time of posting" and rare Madonna tracks. Most recent (last 10 years) music is going to be "new" to me for example! But for "A", I'm still considering an Adam And The Ants B-side...

The whole nomination process will have that element of risk - have many people heard it before or not?

When voting, people should only vote for songs they haven't heard before (though of course that's unenforcible).

But yeah, I'll qualify and expand on this when we start,
Jezoc

Postby DH » Wed 07 May, 2014 10:35 pm

I've already got my A song ready to go!

(Shat away Anamanaguchi for 0 pts last time, which I could've used this time around)
No mate, that's control! Society's got you in its grip!
DH
Site Admin

Reputation point: 8802

Postby Martin » Thu 08 May, 2014 6:35 am

I don't listen to a lot of obscure artists so most of mine will probably be lesser known songs by better known artists, hope that's fine.
Martin

Reputation point: 6635

Postby Brent Hogwell » Thu 08 May, 2014 9:45 am

Jezoc wrote:- B-sides/album tracks from well-known artists (people often only know the singles).

Cover versions as well?
I did my best to notice
When the call came down the line
Up to the platform of surrender
I was brought but I was kind
Brent Hogwell

Reputation point: 1056

Postby Jezoc » Thu 08 May, 2014 11:18 am

Martin - that will be fine. I'm sure a lot of people will be in the same boat. And you may find things you think people know they don't (and vice versa).

Brent Hogwell - yeah, anything at all is valid... just as long as you think the majority won't have heard it.

I reckon the nom's for "A" will be interesting as people as unsure how to play it.
Jezoc

Postby Nill Demand » Sat 10 May, 2014 8:08 am

KEEN
I think the mailman thinks me dumb.
Nill Demand

Reputation point: 4433

PreviousNext

Return to The Sound Board