Welcome to Pilkipedia, Guest! We hope you enjoy the boards available for you to browse here in secrecy.
However why not sign up to the forum to browse the several hidden boards and contribute to our growing community!

Serial podcast

Music, gigs, podcasts and radio shows, gems of audio delight.

Moderators: Gtpod, Barrylad

Serial podcast

Postby brophs » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 4:23 pm

Had this recommended to me elsewhere and after one episode I'm already hooked. Made by the people behind This American Life:

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She’d been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnan’s friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae’s body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Hae’s death. Some people believe he’s telling the truth. Many others don’t.

It's pretty fascinating the way it unfolds (and make sure you listen in order). I'm already gagging for the next episode to see what happens.
I would pump you for no reason ever.
brophs

Reputation point: 2873

Re: Serial podcast

Postby StopWhinging » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 5:01 pm

I should be listening cos duh This American Life <3333 but I'll get into it later
mbbb: she has two moods-hungry and threatened. you can determine her response based on those things

chinch: SW is doing nothing to better her place on the weird americans scale

I'm not controlling...
StopWhinging
Pilki Networker

Reputation point: 7628

Postby Spuddy » Tue 18 Nov, 2014 5:09 pm

I had an idea for a cereal podcast but I never got 'round to it.
They Talk Pictures - Movie Podcast:
iTunes and facebook.com/ttpdt,
Podbean and twitter.com/TTPDTpodcast.
Spuddy

Reputation point: 11580

Postby touchsky » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 9:05 am

Started listening this morning on my way to work and I think I'm hooked! Only got through about 25 minutes of the 1st episode but already I can't wait to listen to the rest.

Very good start. Thanks for the recommendation Brophs. I notice it's top of the podcasts in iTunes.
Member since 2006
touchsky

Reputation point: 4022

Postby brophs » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 6:16 pm

I binge listened to all 9 available eps on the last couple of days as I was painting the sitting room. Really enjoying it but I'm in absolutely no doubt Adnan is guilty, regardless of what Jay's involvement was.

From the top of my head:

The main reasons for me are the way Jay was able to tell a story that at least partially matched with the cell towers. The fact Adnan changed his story about asking Hae for a lift the day of the murder. Him not calling her when she was missing, despite the fact he called her 3 times the day before about something insignificant. That suggests he knew there was no point. The way he's almost studiously ignoring Jay and his involvement and motivation, which to me says that he doesn't want to address Jay's guilt as it touches on his own.
brophs

Postby Spuddy » Thu 20 Nov, 2014 10:59 pm

How does it differ from an audiobook?
They Talk Pictures - Movie Podcast:
iTunes and facebook.com/ttpdt,
Podbean and twitter.com/TTPDTpodcast.
Spuddy

Reputation point: 11580

Postby Diretilde » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 11:02 am

Reminds me of Night Vale
Zoologically improbable and/or terrifying to small children.
Diretilde

Reputation point: 1143

Postby touchsky » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 12:22 pm

Spuddy wrote:How does it differ from an audiobook?

It doesn't really, but there aren't conventional chapters. It's not quite a linear narrative (although it has largely been produced to conform to a more recognized form). It's effectively an investigation by a journalist laid out in the form of an unfolding narrative, and serialised over a number of weeks.

This is so, so good. It has absolutely gripped me. After only starting it yesterday, I've now listened to the first 4 episodes (approx 2-2.5 hours worth). I can't stop thinking about it and can't wait for the next one. It very much invokes a Twin Peaks esque double life story, and the juxtaposition between the facade of these youngsters that was portrayed publically and their more secret personal lives. Hell, she even kept a Laura Palmer style diary FFS!

Can't recommend this enough.
Member since 2006
touchsky

Postby NotCryptic » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm through the first 9 epis. Well hooked. Too bad gotta wait two weeks for ep 10. :(

brophs wrote:I binge listened to all 9 available eps on the last couple of days as I was painting the sitting room. Really enjoying it but I'm in absolutely no doubt Adnan is guilty, regardless of what Jay's involvement was.

rom the top of my head:

The main reasons for me are the way Jay was able to tell a story that at least partially matched with the cell towers. The fact Adnan changed his story about asking Hae for a lift the day of the murder. Him not calling her when she was missing, despite the fact he called her 3 times the day before about something insignificant. That suggests he knew there was no point. The way he's almost studiously ignoring Jay and his involvement and motivation, which to me says that he doesn't want to address Jay's guilt as it touches on his own.

Question for you brophs- what do you think Adnan is guilty of? Do you think he was involved in Hae's killing or did he do exactly what he was convicted of, which was 1st degree murder which is not synonymous with killing someone. The thing is all the inconsistencies with Jay's testimony leads me to believe there's more to the story. I would say there's some evidence of Adnan's involvement, he's got something to hide. But Jay's hiding something too. The state's case is totally built around Jay's story- particularly his description of what Adnan says with respect to the murder. Jay's the one who establishes the premeditation and malicious intent. But Jay lied about a lot of things. If he lied about places and timeline, why would we believe his stories about conversations he had with Adnan?

I'd say I think it's probable that Adnan killed Hae. But at the very least I have doubts as to all the details as provided by Jay. I think if I was a juror, I'd be hesistant to convict Adnan of 1st degree murder. If it was different charge, I might convict him. But I'd like more evidence, Jay's credibility is flimsy.
NotCryptic

Reputation point: 424

Postby brophs » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 1:36 pm

NotCryptic wrote:I'm through the first 9 epis. Well hooked. Too bad gotta wait two weeks for ep 10. :(

brophs wrote:I binge listened to all 9 available eps on the last couple of days as I was painting the sitting room. Really enjoying it but I'm in absolutely no doubt Adnan is guilty, regardless of what Jay's involvement was.

rom the top of my head:

Question for you brophs- what do you think Adnan is guilty of? Do you think he was involved in Hae's killing or did he do exactly what he was convicted of, which was 1st degree murder which is not synonymous with killing someone. The thing is all the inconsistencies with Jay's testimony leads me to believe there's more to the story. I would say there's some evidence of Adnan's involvement, he's got something to hide. But Jay's hiding something too. The state's case is totally built around Jay's story- particularly his description of what Adnan says with respect to the murder. Jay's the one who establishes the premeditation and malicious intent. But Jay lied about a lot of things. If he lied about places and timeline, why would we believe his stories about conversations he had with Adnan?

I'd say I think it's probable that Adnan killed Hae. But at the very least I have doubts as to all the details as provided by Jay. I think if I was a juror, I'd be hesistant to convict Adnan of 1st degree murder. If it was different charge, I might convict him. But I'd like more evidence, Jay's credibility is flimsy.

Dunno really. I mean, if I had to guess and at this point I think Jay had a greater involvement than he said, I'd think it was pre-meditated and he involved Jay prior to committing the crime, but equally I wouldn't rule out it being a crime of passion with Jay inventing this other stuff about his prior intent to distance himself from the crime.

Yeah, I'm not sure there's necessarily enough there for the 1st degree charge, tbh, but then not being guilty by virtue of the legal burden of proof isn't the same as being innocent of committing the act, It was open to the jury to find him guilty of a lesser charge but that case was never made by Adnan's lawyer in any real way, as he was pleading not guilty and the only evidence they had (Jay's testimony) told the story of pre-meditation.

That's why I wasn't really swayed by the folks from the innocence project. They see innocence in everything and, more importantly, they're only interested in how safe the conviction was from a legal perspective. Lots of people get convicted without a proper legal basis, despite the fact they're guilty. I can emphathise with that, as I work in the same field, but in terms of the story, it's being presented as an overall question of "Was Adnan even involved" whereas I think the presenter is perhaps allowig herself to be drawn in by a lot of inconsistencies which she feels might be proving his innocence whereas I suspect it may be that they only prove that he's not the only guilty one.
brophs

Postby NotCryptic » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 3:04 pm

I once served as a juror in a 1st degree murder trial, so I get really interested in this stuff from that perspective. One thing I can say is I was a stickler for following the judge's orders and the rules of evidence, and basically there was one other person that was with me and the rest of them seemed clueless, like they didn't listen to any of the judge's instructions on how to deliberate.

brophs wrote: Lots of people get convicted without a proper legal basis, despite the fact they're guilty. I can emphathise with that, as I work in the same field, but in terms of the story, it's being presented as an overall question of "Was Adnan even involved" whereas I think the presenter is perhaps allowig herself to be drawn in by a lot of inconsistencies which she feels might be proving his innocence whereas I suspect it may be that they only prove that he's not the only guilty one.

This is the thing I'm thinking about the most. I can see two potential problems with Adnan's conviction, even if he was involved in Hae's murder. 1- he might be serving a worse sentence than he deserves- if it was a crime of passion e.g. 2- Jay might not be getting the justice he deserves. I mean, what if Jay strangled Hae? I think that's at least a possibility. Jay's never served any time for this, and he may have been a lot more involved than he lets on.

I'm with you in that I doubt this will end with Adnan being exonerated. But I also think justice wasn't quite served. The series isn't over yet, maybe there will be a bombshell towards the end.
NotCryptic

Reputation point: 424

Postby touchsky » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 7:45 pm

Just got fully up to date. My thoughts...

Some of Jay's inconsistencies are totally unforgivable. Particularly the phone call from a non existent phone at Best Buy, the location of the reveal of the body in the trunk, the time line of the ride around prior to disposing of the body. These things suggest one of two things to me; either Jay and Adnan were both involved and the inconsistencies stem from a form of self preservation, or Jay killed Hae. The one thing it certainly reinforces is that Jay's story, and the insinuation that Adnan is the single mastermind, cannot be accurate. The main issue I have regarding Adnan's profession of innocence is his lack of stern defence or rebuttal to Jay's accusations. How can he not literally blame Jay?! The logical conclusion for Adnan should surely be that Jay has killed Hae and is pinning it on the bitter ex boyfriend that he has created in his testimony.
Member since 2006
touchsky

Postby ScottHanson » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 7:45 pm

Listened to episode 1, pretty good stuff. Who was the witness on the tape who helped him bury the body??? They obviously did it right. I should have been on that jury.
Steve: No Elvis, it's a good idea, I'm just wondering if there's maybe something a little bit more glamorous for your fake death, I mean maybe you could take a bullet for the president?
Ricky: Huh, what and shit all over him? Just shit myself?
ScottHanson
Wiki Chief Editor

Reputation point: 18625

Postby touchsky » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 7:52 pm

ScottHanson wrote:Listened to episode 1, pretty good stuff. Who was the witness on the tape who helped him bury the body??? They obviously did it right. I should have been on that jury.

But the cell towers! THE CELLLLL TOWERRRRRS!!!
Member since 2006
touchsky

Postby ScottHanson » Fri 21 Nov, 2014 8:11 pm

NO SPOILERS.
Steve: No Elvis, it's a good idea, I'm just wondering if there's maybe something a little bit more glamorous for your fake death, I mean maybe you could take a bullet for the president?
Ricky: Huh, what and shit all over him? Just shit myself?
ScottHanson
Wiki Chief Editor

Reputation point: 18625

Next

Return to The Sound Board