Welcome to Pilkipedia, Guest! We hope you enjoy the boards available for you to browse here in secrecy.
However why not sign up to the forum to browse the several hidden boards and contribute to our growing community!

Brief Reviews of Albums You've Listened To Recently...

Music, gigs, podcasts and radio shows, gems of audio delight.

Moderators: Gtpod, Barrylad

Re: Brief Reviews of Albums You've Listened To Recently...

Postby croney » Fri 20 Jun, 2014 9:51 am

add all metal bands to that ;)
22:04 <Nicola> What do you know about bras croney?

Best New Member 2011

Forum legend
croney

Reputation point: 12686

Postby Mr. Buttersbee » Thu 03 Jul, 2014 3:29 pm

One of my most anticipated albums of the year, and it really is great. Musically it's one of his most interesting albums in his solo output. I haven't had much of a chance to really get the lyrics in my head but after a few listens through they seem to be on par with the rest of his discography.

I find him to be one of the most consistent artists working today and World Peace is None of Your Business is a great addition to his discography and a great way to start the summer.
It's time to...let the son of Gob enfold me.
Mr. Buttersbee

Reputation point: 629

Postby NotCryptic » Thu 10 Jul, 2014 5:44 pm

Godspeed You! Black Emperor- Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

An appropriate number of exclamation points in that title. Even though it came out in 2012 I've only just started listening to it about 2 months ago. I was a fan of Godspeed for a long time and then their reunion somehow slipped by unnoticed and then I saw they came out with their first album in a decade, and I figure I should give it a listen.

I sort of had mediocre expectations cause when a band quits for a decade and then gets back together you just want to hear the old hits and don't really care about any new stuff cause the new stuff is always shite. Always. Except apparently not always. Because this album is something other than shite.

I thought I basically heard everything they had in their arsenal which is field samples, minimalist guitar hooks, slow builds, and orchestral instruments. It's always good but there's not a whole lot of surprises after a while which is why I sort of wasn't that excited to listen to this one.

The thing with this one is they've gone and said screw all this classical music bs now we're just gonna rock. So that kind of surprised me because I think I knew they had it in them but I didn't think they would go that route.

It's still Godspeed, the songs are still 20 minutes long. But somehow they are just simpler and just more rocky than anything else they've done.

I can't really say enough about it. I do think it's the best thing they've ever done. I do think its one of the best things I've ever heard in my life. I'm not being hyberbolic either, this is a pretty special experience listening to this album. I think if I get to see Godspeed live, it'll be the only time ever that I'll be begging that a band that's been around for almost 20 years play new mostly stuff at their show.

If I had to rate out of 100, I'll go 98. 98/100. 98% fresh. I want to give them a 2% chance to get even better when they release their next reunion album in 2022.

A+
NotCryptic

Reputation point: 424

Postby Barrylad » Sun 17 Aug, 2014 11:00 pm

Riff Raff - Neon Icon

I can't believe how good this album is. I don't mean that in the sense that it's one of my all time favourites or anything, but in the sense that it was a legitimate surprise how enjoyable it was. Riff Raff is a fucking weirdo and a bit of a mental. I mainly took an interest in him because he posts mad shit on the internet and was claiming for ages he'd sue James Franco and the people who made Spring Breakers for knocking off his likeness. I heard along the way, from some people, that he also wasn't a bad rapper in his own right. Someone on a podcast I was listening to offhandedly mentioned that his album was actually good so I downloaded it on a whim. He's a good rapper - not great - but certainly better than average. He's a fun white-trash Kanye with a mental persona and good rhymes that extenuate that. The production is generally very good and some of the hooks are awesome. Synthy, somewhat retro vibe - with a lot of DURTY SOUTH-ness to it. An honest-to-god recommendation.
7/10
FITZSIMMONS wrote:You can get poutine in the UK now? I already am highly questioning the quality.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Reputation point: 7629

Postby Barrylad » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 9:02 pm

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Super. Every track is so beautiful. I guess I like Bowie now. Took me long enough.
9.5/10

Alice in Chains - Dirt
Really good even though it's not really my genre. Stuff like Rain When I Die and others are just awesome anthems.
8/10
FITZSIMMONS wrote:You can get poutine in the UK now? I already am highly questioning the quality.
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Postby boy thorn side » Thu 21 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm

Riff Raff is so much fun. He was actively involved in Spring Breakers at some level cause he was bro-ing it up with Harmony Korine, and had his whole 'RAP GAME JAMES FRANCO' shit goin on. Then i think it cilcked that he was finally releasing this long awaited album and it made sense to gain an even greater sense of exposure by shouting about how he was gonna sue the makers of a film that had all those name in it. And then he did a cameo on a soap opera thing as a character called Jamie Franko. And then it turns out he never filed any court papers. And then he did that 'going on a date' with Katy Perry, which as of today transpires was clearly about her appearing on a remix one of his songs.Yeh, i follow him on twitter, so what.
His mixtape songs are generally a bit mental, the videos strange, but from time to time he sure knows how to work a nice synth tune or just plain weird ones, and get a refrain stuck in your head. Sometimes his rapping makes it sound like all his songs are the same. One of the best thing he's been on is still this though.

Yeh, i love him a bit. That's not to say he is great, he really isn't. Good though.
people with leukaemia are just like everyone else. meaning, they can't do what i do.
boy thorn side

Reputation point: 6561

Postby chinchilla » Fri 22 Aug, 2014 11:54 am

i'm a big fan of riff raff too....he is most enjoyable
ive finally got round to changing my signature...
chinchilla

Reputation point: 16946

Postby Barrylad » Sun 24 Aug, 2014 10:30 pm

High five lads.

Young Jeezy - The Recession
While definitely an acquired taste, I honestly think Young Jeezy is great and his first album is awesome. The second is a solid follow up and this third one just feels too much like more of the same. That still means it's good but I can't say I'd really recommend it. The production feels way weaker, with unremarkable beats that just make the whole thing run together and no songs stand out as special. Oh well. If you havent, give 'Thug Motivation 101' a try.
6.5/10
Barrylad
Forum Mod

Postby jppp » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 10:26 pm

Jamie T - Carry on the Grudge
Love it. One of the best of the year for me. Limits Lie is sensational. So many great catchy choruses.
9/10
Yes counselor Steve, I like the fun canoe.
jppp

Reputation point: 2385

Postby wetknee » Fri 03 Oct, 2014 10:36 pm

Interesting, might give that a go. Really liked his debut album, never even knew he kept going.
Winner of the smart arsed cunt BAFTA 09
FITZSIMMONS wrote:
I dislike superheros in general.

ScottHanson wrote:
When you think about it... Jews DO control the media

Never forget xjem777
wetknee

Reputation point: 8930

Postby Deathlehem » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:58 pm

smith - the sound of the smith
this is an album about morrisey smith this bloke with hair who thinks vegetarians were made in god's image. he once said that meat eaters are worse than paedophiles. he is a good comedy character like alan partridge or eamonn holmes. it is 2 cds because there is a lot of stories on it. i will now list them all in order. hand in glove. this charming man. what difference does it make. still ill. heaven knows i am miserable now. how soon is now. nowhere fast. shakespeare's sister. barbarism begins at home. that joke is not funny anymore. the headmaster ritual. the boy with the thorn in his side. bigmouth strikes again. there is a light that never goes out. panic. ask. you just have not earned it yet, baby. shoplifters of the world unite. sheila take a bow. girlfriend in a coma. i started something that i could not finish. last night i dreamt that somebody loved me. jeane. handsome devil. this charming man again. wonderful woman. back to the old house. these things take time. girl afraid. please, please, please let me get what i want. stretch out and wait. oscillate wildly. meat is murder. asleep. money changes everything. the queen is dead. vicar in a tutu. cemetery gates. half a person. sweet and tender hooligan. pretty girls make graves. stop me if you think you have heard this one before. what is the world. london. that is all the songs. you might have noticed they forgot some girls are bigger than others. therefore i give this album my lowest score ever seven thumbs up.
Deathlehem

Reputation point: 183

Postby mars bah bah bah » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 3:46 pm

Deathlehem wrote:i give this album my lowest score ever seven thumbs up.

Deathlehem wrote:that joke is not funny anymore
<gauss> marsy: sometimes people are just fed up with you
mars bah bah bah
Forum Mod

Reputation point: 17332

Postby Deathlehem » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 5:38 pm

are you that guy i just spoke about in the mediocre anecdotes thread?
Deathlehem

Postby Deathlehem » Sun 28 Dec, 2014 12:27 pm

liars - mess
the last time i listened to liars they were like an angry rock band. their new album is like experimental electronica bleepity bloopity bleeps with some moaning. it might be a different band called liars. anyway i like the band called liars because liars is 1 letter away from being my name in plural form. that alone makes this band one to listen to or at least listen to on headphones. i get excited with one song on the album coz it sounds like they're about to go into tainted love by soft cell but they don't. this is good music to listen to if you want to pretend you have a very deep interest and understanding of electronic music and should fit in great on the cd shelf right next to kiddy a by radiohead or that one by lcd soundsystem. seven thumbs up.
Deathlehem

Postby LukeRyan » Thu 05 Feb, 2015 12:09 am

Lost Themes - John Carpenter

What the fuck. The best ever. THE MASTER.

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000/10
LukeRyan

Reputation point: 1107

PreviousNext

Return to The Sound Board