Karl's Favourite Music
Despite having spent the better part of his adult life working for a radio station, not to mention being the man responsible for the music quizzes Rockbusters and Songs of Phrase, Karl is not a particularly big fan of music. He shows nothing but indifference to most of the songs played by Ricky and Steve on the show, and has said that if he owned an iPod there are only a handful of tracks he would put on it.
Karl mostly seems to like songs that tell a story. Because of this, he started a feature called Songs With a Story in which he would play a track with an easy-to-follow narrative.
His all-time favourite song is The Killing of Georgie by Rod Stewart, which is about a homosexual man who moves to New York and ends up being murdered by a street gang.
Some other songs and artists Karl has expressed a fondness for:
- "Stranger On The Shore" by Acker Bilk
- "In The Ghetto" by Elvis Presley
- "Mack The Knife" by Bobby Darin
- "Babooshka" by Kate Bush
- "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton
- "Distractions" by Zero 7
- "Dreaming of You" by The Coral
- "Stan" by Eminem
- "Just Can't Get Enough" by Depeche Mode
- Happy Mondays - 12 January 2002
- Kings of Leon (received a CD as a gift from Xfm)
- The Kinks
- Bob Marley (received a CD as a gift from Xfm)
- "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa" by Gene Pitney
- "Informer" by Snow
- "We Used To Be Friends" by Dandy Warhols
- "Pinball Wizard" by The Who
- "Living For The City" by Stevie Wonder
- "Purple People Eater" by Sheb Wooley
- "Ain't No Pleasing You" by Chas & Dave
The music of I Am Kloot features prominently in Satisfied Fool, although this could always be a choice made by the editor as opposed to Karl.