The Elephant Man
The Elephant Man is a 1980 biopic loosely based on the life of the deformed 19th century British celebrity Joseph Merrick (called John Merrick in the film). Karl has often said this is his favourite film, most notably in a notorious Songs of Phrase clue. His love for the film can at least partially be attributed to his obsession with human deformity, but Karl has also said that he likes it because it's sad and "the title tells you exactly what you're gonna get." There was some talk between Ricky, Steve and Karl that the film would be used in the film quiz feature but it never was.
Karl has said that the film adaptation of the Elephant Man has made him cry, and he was pleasantly surprised that Jonathan Ross shared his interest in the movie.
Mentions on the Show
The film and John Merrick are frequently brought up in the show:
- 09 February 2002 - Karl says he can't watch the Elephant Man without crying
- 16 February 2002 - A quiz question is asked about the Elephant Man movie
- 12 April 2003 - The title is used in Songs of Phrase which leads to a discussion about a scene in the film
- 08 November 2003 - Ricky questions whether this or Kes is Karl's favourite movie
- 13 December 2003 - Karl briefly mentioned watching it again in the week
Karl's Elephant Man Quotes
"Elephant Man's coming, get some buns in".