Jump to navigation Jump to search
A timeline of the history and development of the shows, and the careers of the three main performers.
- 25th June - Ricky Gervais is born in Reading.
- 23rd September - Karl Pilkington is born in Manchester.
- 24th November - Stephen Merchant is born in Bristol.
- 1st September - Xfm is launched. The first song played on the station is 'Fake Plastic Trees' by Radiohead. DJ Claire Sturgess hosts a show in which Ricky, in his role as head of speech, pops in and out to contribute.
- January - Ricky and Steve begin their first show (Series 0) on Xfm.
- 23rd August - Ricky and Steve take voluntary redundancy from Xfm
- 24th August - Xfm goes off the air without explanation as the station is sold to Capital.
- 28th August - Capital-owned Xfm goes on the air, with a much less rambunctious format.
- 8th August - Ricky and Steve's sitcom pilot, Golden Years, is broadcast on Channel 4 as part of the Comedy Lab strand.
- October - Karl Pilkington inadvertently ends DJ Gail Porter's career with Xfm after only two shows by criticizing her, making her cry.
- 26th October - The third series of the 11 O'Clock Show begins, now featuring Ricky Gervais.
- 22nd September - Meet Ricky Gervais is first broadcast on Channel 4.
- 9th July - The Office Episode 1 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 16th July - The Office Episode 2 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 23rd July - The Office Episode 3 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 30th July - The Office Episode 4 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 13th August - The Office Episode 5 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 20th August - The Office Episode 6 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- September - Ricky and Steve return to Xfm with a new show, with Karl Pilkington as their producer. Series 1, and the show as we know it, begins.
- 4th May - Ricky and Steve take a break to film the second series of The Office, marking the end of series 1.
- 24th August -: Ricky and Steve return, and Series 2 begins.
- 31st August - An early version of Rockbusters is played for the first time
- 30th September - The Office Episode 7 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 7th October - The Office Episode 8 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 14th October - The Office Episode 9 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 21st October - The Office Episode 10 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 28th October - The Office Episode 11 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 4th November - The Office Episode 12 is broadcast on BBC2 at 9pm
- 21st November - The Last Chancers, another Comedy Lab pilot is broadcast, directed by Stephen Merchant.
- 25th January - Monkey News makes its debut.
- 16th August - Xfm Series 2 ends after 51 weeks, as Ricky and Steve go off to film The Office Christmas specials. The show's future hangs on whether Karl decides to return.
- 1st November - The show does return, as Karl now has Mondays off, and Series 3 begins
- 26th December - The Office Christmas Special (Part 1) is broadcast on BBC1. Part 2 is broadcast the following day.
- 17th January - Series 3 draws to a close.
- 28th May -: The show returns with the six-week Series 4.
- 2nd July - The last show of the series, and of any Xfm series ends early as Ricky will be introducing REM at Live 8.
- 20th July - Extras debuts on BBC2.
- 5th December - The first series of 12 weekly Podcasts begin, free on Guardian Unlimited
- 24th and 31st December - Ricky, Steve and Karl stand in for Jonathan Ross on BBC Radio 2 over the Christmas period.
- 27th-29th December - Karl co-presents three 6Music Shows with Russell Brand
- 23rd January - The first excerpts of Karl's Diary are read in Podcast episode 8.
- 20th February - Podcast Series 1 draws to a close.
- 27th February - Podcast Series 2 begins, 6 weeks in length and no longer free, available on iTunes or Audible.
- 24th March - The first Video Podcast is released, the beginning of a free, irregular, continuing series.
- April Karl appears on a few more episodes of Russell Brand's 6 Music show, but contractual obligations force him to pull out.
- 4th April - Podcast Series 2 ends.
- 14th August - Life -the first of four documentaries by Karl Pilkington is broadcast at 19:55 on Channel 4 as part of the 3 Minute Wonder strand.
- 15th August - Holidays -the second of four documentaries by Karl Pilkington is broadcast at 19:55 on Channel 4 as part of the 3 Minute Wonder strand.
- 16th August - Health -the third of four documentaries by Karl Pilkington is broadcast at 19:55 on Channel 4 as part of the 3 Minute Wonder strand.
- 17th August - Nature -the fourth of four documentaries by Karl Pilkington is broadcast at 19:55 on Channel 4 as part of the 3 Minute Wonder strand.
- 22nd August - After a break in order to film Extras Series 2, the Podcasts return with Series 3, the same deal as Series 2.
- 31st August - Ricky Gervais appears on Richard & Judy to talk about the forthcoming series of Extras. (YouTube)
- 14th September - Series 2 of Extras begins.
- 18th September - The World of Karl Pilkington is released in the UK
- 26th September - Podcast Series 3 ends with the suggestion that there will be a break before the next series.
- 5th October - Ricky Gervais is interviewed on BBC News 24 by Huw Edwards. (YouTube)
- 31st October - The first of The Podfather Trilogy ('Halloween') is released free through Guardian Unlimited.
- 23rd November - The second of The Podfather Trilogy ('Thanksgiving') is released free through Guardian Unlimited.
- 25th December - The final episode of The Podfather Trilogy ('Christmas') is released free through Guardian Unlimited.
- January - The Steve Show debuts on BBC 6 Music and runs weekly until April 2009.
- 1st July - At the Concert For Diana Ricky Gervais is forced to fill time because Elton John is late. Ricky does the David Brent dance from The Office and sings the David Bowie song from Extras. Gervais' performance is panned by the critics.
- 7th July - Ricky Gervais appears at the London leg of Live Earth concert to introduce Rob Reiner and Spinal Tap. On stage Gervais said, 'Now listen, we're running late, so I'm gonna be off this stage in 30 seconds, whether Elton John is fucking ready or not,' making him one of a number of people to swear on live TV at the event.
- 10th August - Stardust is released in the USA. It is later released in the UK on the 19th October.
- 7th September - Run, Fat Boy, Run is released in the UK. Simon Pegg stars, Stephen Merchant has a cameo.
- 4th October - Karl Pilkington's book, Happyslapped By A Jellyfish, is published in the UK. It is later published in the US on the 29th October.
- 20st October - Karl Pilkington appears on The Culture Show (BBC 2) in a taped segment in which he talks about his anxiety about publishing his second book and visits the Cheltenham Litrature Festival.
- 22nd October - Karl Pilkington: Satisfied Fool is broadcast at 11:05pm on Channel 4.
- 2nd November - Ricky Gervais appears in a taped segment on The Big Fat Anniversary Quiz on Channel 4. This show was marking the 25th anniversary of Channel 4.
- 7th November - Stephen Merchant appears on Danny Baker's BBC London radio show. He talks about not being able to direct The Office (US Series) because of the WGA strike.
- 9th November Newsnight Review (BBC 2) broadcasts an brief interview of Ricky Gervais on the set of Ghost Town
- 10th November the Indepedent publishes a long interview with Ricky Gervais. It can be read here (screengrab)
- 11th November the Sunday Herald of Scotland publishes a long interview with Ricky Gervais. It can be read here (screengrab)
- 12th November Fame is released on DVD in the UK.
- 13th November Ricky Gervais appears on ITV's This Morning. He mentions that he gets text messages from Princes William and Harry. (Youtube)
- 14th November Ricky Gervais releases a video via his website congratulating BAFTA on its 60th birthday (YouTube)
- 19th November An extended two-minute trailer for the Extras Christmas Special is released via rickygervais.com (YouTube)
- 16th December Extras Christmas Special premieres on HBO.
- 26th December Extras Christmas Special premieres on BBC 1.
- 22nd February Ricky Gervais: New Hero of Comedy airs on Channel 4. This tribute to the Chubby Funster can be downloaded here
- March Ricky starts a blog for his film The Invention of Lying (previously known as This Side of the Truth)
- 26th April Commentary by Ricky and Robin Ince for the Politics DVD released for free on iTunes.
- May The Podfather Trilogy ( a 'free gift to the fans') is re-released as an audiobook on iTunes UK and Audible UK
- 9th June Ricky, Steve and Karl make their triumphant return to radio on NME Radio.
- 18th September Ghost Town premieres in America, it grosses $5,012,315 in the opening weekend.
- 1st October Karl's third book Karlology is published in the UK. Buy from the Pilki-shop UK here
- 20th October Karlology is published in the US. Buy from the Pilki-shop US here here.
- 24th October Ghost Town premieres in the UK.
- 15th November Ricky's fourth stand up show Out Of England is released as a HBO special. It contains material from Ricky's other stand up shows Animals, Politics and Fame
- 23rd December The first in the new series of audiobooks is released. Download the The Ricky Gervais Guide To... Medicine on iTunes UK
- 14th September The Invention of Lying co-written and co-directed by Ricky Gervais is released.
- 17th January Ricky Gervais hosts the 67th Golden Globe Awards.
- 19th February The Ricky Gervais Show animated series begins on HBO.
- 14th April Cemetery Junction is released.
- 2nd June Karl's fourth book titled An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington is published.
- 21st August The Ricky Gervais Show won an Outstanding Individual in Animation Emmy for the episode 'Charity.'
- 5th September An Idiot Abroad Series One debuts on Sky One.
- 22nd November Ricky Gervais's Science stand-up tour DVD is released.
- 14th January The second series of The Ricky Gervais Show animated series airs.
- 16th January Ricky Gervais hosts the 68th Golden Globe Awards.
- 19th April Stephen Merchant voice acts as Wheatley in famous video game Portal 2, later winning him multiple awards.
- 10th November Life's Too Short debuts on BBC Two and HBO.
- 15th January Ricky Gervais hosts the 69th Golden Globe Awards.
- 12th April Derek debuts on Channel 4.
- 20th April Third series of The Ricky Gervais Show animated series airs.
- 20th September Karl's fifth book titled The Further Adventures of An Idiot Abroad is published.
- 30th March Life's Too Short special airs.
- 29th September Hello Ladies debuts on HBO.
- 10th October Karl's sixth book titled The Moaning of Life: The Worldly Wisdom of Karl Pilkington is published.
- 20th October The Moaning of Life debuts on Sky One.
- 23rd April The second series of Derek airs.
- 22nd November Hello Ladies: The Movie, acted in and directed by Stephen Merchant is released.
- 22nd December Derek Christmas special airs.
- 13th October The second series of The Moaning of Life airs.
- 10th January Ricky Gervais hosts the 73rd Golden Globe Awards.
- 2nd June Karl's seventh book titled More Moaning: The Enlightened One Returns is published.
- 19th August David Brent: Life on the Road, written and directed by (and starring) Ricky Gervais is released in the UK.
- October Ricky Gervais begins hosting a weekly radio show Ricky Gervais Is Deadly Sirius on Sirius XM which will run until 2019.
- 27th September Sick of It debuts on Sky One.
- 14th February 'Fighting with my Family', written and directed by Stephen Merchant and starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is released in the US, then on the 27th in the UK.
- 8th March After Life debuts on Netflix.
- 6th January Ricky Gervais hosts the 77th Golden Globe Awards.
- 10th January The second series of Sick of It airs.
- 24th April The second series of After Life airs.
- June Karl Pilkington is the voice of the 'We're England 'til we dine' Deliveroo adverts for the Euro 2020 tournament (postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- 25th October The Outlaws co-written and co-directed by (and starring) Stephen Merchant debuts on BBC One and Amazon Prime Video.
- 5th January Four Lives, a BBC drama, airs staring Stephen Merchant as serial killer Stephen Port.
- 24th June 'Ricky Gervais: SuperNature', a new stand-up special airs on Netflix.
- 5th June The second series of The Outlaws airs.
- 26th December Stephen Merchant appears on the 2022 edition of The BBC's 'The Big Fat Quiz of the Year'.
- March Karl Pilkington plays 'Simon' in two episodes of HBO Original show Rain Dogs.